DIY_ABS

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.telstra.com.au
Tue Feb 4 00:19:45 GMT 1997

> >What's neat about most of the ABS systems on vehicles today is that its a
> >seperate embedded system from the engine computer and other related items,
> >therefore, if you really, really want ABS, you can use the
> >hubs/spindles/brake brake assemblies from the donor vehicle, retrofit them to
> >your own, and the job is pretty much complete.
>
>  Except for two things..
>
>  1) The programming will most likely be ALL wrong for the weight of the vehicle
>     decel rates, slip angles, etc..

I'm not an ABS expert, but I thought the simpler units were just a case
of "Wheel is locked up--release brake pressure".

Of course, if the ABS is used in conjuction with a traction
control/vehicle stability system (aka big mercs/new honda prelude) it's
a different scenario.

Having said that I think I trust myself more with injection than
brakes!!

>  I think DIY_ABS is only useful if accompanied by DIY_EjectionSeat
:-) a quick trip to the air force surplus??

Cheers,
Craig.