ABS

Daniel Houlton tc75918 at hpr169.mdhc.mdc.com
Tue Feb 4 18:28:26 GMT 1997

Darrell Norquay wrote:

> At 10:34 AM 1/29/97 -0600, John Hess wrote:
>
> > This is why ABS is generally found to be ineffective on ice.
>
> Tell you what, non-ABS brakes are sure as hell ineffective on ice as well!
> Any amount of divine intervention is usually welcome under these circumstances.
>
> There must be something other than the differential speed algorithm involved
> in the ABS control.  If a 4 wheel lockup occurred, and the VSS reading went
> from 20MPH to 0 in, say, half a second, the ABS controller should know
> something is fishy.  As soon as the ABS cuts in, the wheels will start

Yes, this is how my truck works.  (Isuzu Amigo, rear wheel ABS only).  There
is a toothed ring around the ring gear with a sensor mounted in the housing.
It senses the RATE at which the rear wheels decelerate to determine if
they're locking up or not.  It does not compare their speed to that of the
front wheels.

--Dan