ABS

Dave Williams dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us
Wed Feb 5 15:22:43 GMT 1997

-> Do you want to trust your life to home-brewed code when hundreds (if
-> not thousands) of engineers and scientists with mega-dollar budgets
-> have been working their butts off for years to come up with safe
-> production ABS systems?

 I have no problem with that.  I put my life on the line every time I
put my driving skills up agains the other idiots on the road; I'll put
my programming skills on the line too.

-> A DIY_ABS system will have to do *everything* that a
-> production system does, and do it just as well.

 Everything?  Everything *which* ABS does?  There are some pretty damned
simple electronic ABS systems out there.  If I did my own ABS I wouldn't
feel particularly constrained by what Delco or Bosch are shipping to
OEMs.  Then again, from a minimalist standpoint, all it would have to do
is duplicate the all-mechanical Dunlop or Kelsey-Hayes systems of the
'60s, which would be relatively easy to model.  No need to get all tied
up in doing the be-all, end-all ultimate ABS.

-> Unless an ABS system is damned near perfect, it
-> *will* fail sooner or later.  When it does, the consequences are
-> likely to be severe.

 If you drive to the limit you're taking on a lot of assumed risks.
The very idea seems to be antithetical to the current crop of droids who
feel the world should guarantee them perfect safety.  Following your own
line of reasoning, anyone who doesn't do a perfect ABS system will soon
remove themselves from the gene pool.  So be it.  Think of it as
evolution in action.

-> IMHO, DIY_ABS code is a very bad idea.  Transferring a complete
-> braking system from an ABS vehicle to a similar non-ABS vehicle is
-> risky enough, but doing your own ABS code is... unwise.

 Yeah.  Nobody asked you to drive it.

====dave.williams at chaos.lrk.ar.us========================DoD#978=======
  can you help me...help me get out of this place?...slow sedation...
ain't my style, ain't my pace...giving me a number...NINE, SEVEN, EIGHT
==5.0 RX7 -> Tyrannosaurus RX! == SAE '82 == Denizens of Doom M/C '92==