Bosch ECU Repair

eric schumacher e.schumacher at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 7 07:44:16 GMT 1997

Hi Listees
I am a desperate hotrodder in search of a little help.  In the process of
installing a VR6 engine from
a 95 Jetta GLX in my 85 VW GTI I damaged the ECU.  Replacment boxes (VW PN
021 906 258 CR) are scarce and expensive so I am resigned to fixing mine.  I
am soliciting help.

All of the chips in the box carry only Bosch inhouse part numbers.  Most are
made by other
people.  Of the two chips that are likely to be damaged one in a 5 pin
TO-220 package is made by
Siemans and the other in a 15 pin multiwatt package is made by Bosch.  I am
not aware that
Bosch makes chips.  The function that is damaged for sure is the 5 volt
linear regulator in one of
these chips. My problem is identifying replacements for the two interface chips.

The 15 pin multiwatt  (Bosch D1121 134LO) appears to be quite similar in
pinning to the SGS-
Thompson L4936 dual regulator with monitor.  Very similar but not good enough.

The 5 pin TO-220 runs from battery voltage and appears to drive the idle air
solenoid but the hook
up is strange so I am not positive.

Can any one help me in identifying generic replacment power ICs for this
ECU? Or at at least a
source of parts?
Can any one help me locate organizations that repair ECUs?  My net search
only brought up ones
abroad.
Eric