Fuel Filler Caps

RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au
Thu Feb 13 01:43:29 GMT 1997

>> in the tank, as every time I open mine to refill (Lincoln
>> Continental) I hear this "ffffst" sound.
>
>A small point, I think it's actually a vacuum.  The charcoal
>cannister and engine vacuum are used to maintain a slight negative
>pressure in the tank in order to reduce evaporative emissions.
>Supposedly a defective cannister system can collapse a gas tank by
>applying too much vacuum, but that may be an urban legend.

During running and hot soak, the fuel tank pressure will be positive
from the vapour pressure (that's how the carbon canister is charged).
The engine applies a vacuum to the canister to purge it, but this flow
rate is not enough to create a vacuum in the tank itself.  When the
fuel in the tank cools down, say overnight, a vacuum may form if the
vapour pressure of the fuel drops below atmospheric pressure.