Injector Impedence Q

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Thu Feb 13 23:17:27 GMT 1997

At 04:09 PM 2/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

><<   Well- not really. If you connect 2 parallel legs, each leg with 2 series
>
>   injectors you'll have a total impedance similar to a single injector. But
>the
>   voltage across each injector will only be half of the total supply
>voltage, ie
>   you'll be running them at only 6 volts each, which is to say that the
>current
>   available to each one will be only about half what they were designed to
>   operate with; not good... >>
>
>Oh yeah..I forgot to mention that I was talking to Tim Drury about that
>problem also. I wondered about the possiblity of stepping up the voltage
>somehow...perhaps with a sort of amplifier...?
>I was thinking about the whole set up like an audio system...where you take
>the signal from the ECU that tells the original inj when and how long to
>fire..and then basically "amplify" that signal by four so that each of the
>four new inj will get the exact same signal os the original one.
>
>Van

  If your going to go through all that trouble, simply use the EFI output
to drive the inputs of 4 new injector drivers, or drive one BIG injector
driver (designed for 4x the current) and run all the injectors in parallel.
 Trivial really.  If you are replacing a TBI (non peak/hold type) injector
w/ 4 small injectors (also non peak/hold type) the 4 injectors in parallel
might not require much more current than the orig large injector (so use
its output directly).  I wouldn't go to a serial/parallel arangement.