K&N Rich-lean monitor

John Weir jcwx at execpc.com
Sat Feb 15 14:29:43 GMT 1997

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, G. M. Roberts wrote:

> I saw in a book that K&N sold a rich lean monitor that is used as a
> tuning aid.  It utilizes a probe that is welded into the exhaust
> system. Has anyone used this and would it help me in my application?

I installed one on my '88 323 GTX, seems to work well enough.  I
have found that there are other units on the market at much better
prices, so you might look around.  They are actually referred to as
air-fuel ratio monitors.  The GTX uses a single lead O2 sensor, which
is perfect for the monitor you are speaking of, your El Camino should
have a O2 sensor, if this character didn't remove it for whatever
reason.  Either way, unless he botched plugging the hole, you should
have somewhere to install the O2 sensor.

All you will need to do in order to install this item is to splice
into the lead coming off the O2 sensor and run that wire through
the fire wall if you are going to mount the unit permanently.  You
then need to supply power to the unit, and a ground too.  (As I
remember) It is pretty simple for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Oh - if you don't have a O2 sensor, the kit can be ordered with one.
If one is in the car already, you can order it without.  If you
don't have one, though, I would check O2 sensor prices out at the
local parts store, for I don't think that K&N will give you the best
price.

John