The Rochecter E4ME carb

Daniel Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Sun Feb 16 18:08:54 GMT 1997

George Dailey wrote:

> The Rochester electronic feedback carb (any feedback carb) are considered
> abominations! Think about it, all the headachs of a conventional carburator
> plus several other expensive sensors, actuators, an ECM, and miles of wire
> and connectors thrown in to ensure complete insainity.

George, who other than yourself considers these carbs abominations?

I have one on my Trans Am and it works very well for a carb!  I get
great starts in the morning, 21 MPG on the highway, and mid-15's in the
quarter mile!  Sure, it's not EFI, but it's a heck of a lot better than
your average non-computerized Holley!

These carbs can tune for optimum air fuel ratio under cruising, yet
offer the home mechanic the ability to tune (via seconadary metering
rods) for different engine modifications!  For an analog-type mechanic
with no lap top, it offers a great opportunity for easy tuning.

These carbs are not as difficult to work on as you may think.  They also
just plain work, regardless of the computer's state of health.  When all
of the electronics are operational, these carbs literally tune
themselves.

	They are a niche in the computer controlled induction world that have
their purpose.

	Cheers,
		Dan.