ABS Brakes

Clint Sharp clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 22 16:42:26 GMT 1997

In your message dated Thursday 20, February 1997 you wrote :

> My problem is I don't remember the name... but they are completely mechanical
> (or hydraulic) in nature.  I went through some mags last night and didn't
> find it... will keep looking.  Only 209 more mags to go <G>
Looks like a machined and anodised canister (pretty ridges)? If so, stay away
from them, they were tested in a UK mag a while ago and they got slated.
They appear to be a reservoir of gas with a diaphragm separating the brake
fluid, push on the brake pedal and the diaphragm compresses the gas, giving you
a softer pedal.
 Basically they stop you locking the wheels by making it impossible to apply
enough hydraulic pressure to lock them, kind of like a damper for your brakes.
The mag found that they added considerably to braking distances compared to
standard, (think it was Fast Car  but ICBW), the owner of the test car hated it
and junked the system after a couple of days.

--
If you have a problem with excess cash, mail all those
unwanted notes in plain packing to;
                       clint at clintsmc.demon.co.uk