detonation detection

Todd King Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com
Mon Feb 24 20:57:59 GMT 1997

  <<<
  >  Is there a way to monitor the amount of retard the ECU performs after =
  sensing a knock.
       Only my ears. The L-Jetronic '81 doesn't have provision for a
  knock sensor.
  - -Charles
  '81 745i working most of the time ;)

  Charles- we (turbo Regal folks) have found that if you can hear the knock it
  is already severe. We depend totally on the ECM's knock retard scheme to keep
  the motors alive at high power levels. With so many of these cars now running
  around the ten sec range there are many reports of broken main bearing caps,
  probably due to "quiet" detonation while at 500+ hp power levels. The point is
  that if you have a knock detection setup you will see it taking heavy "evasive
  action" long before you ever hear knock occurring; if you depend on audible
  knock to set your limits then you might be in the danger zone without knowing
  it. FWIW.

  Todd  Todd_King at ccm.co.intel.com