A new person enter's the fray.

Paul Rosser paul.r at xtra.co.nz
Mon Feb 24 22:08:20 GMT 1997

Hi everybody. Well my first day on the list and was sure that my provider had stuffed up my email account. 29 messages. Wow. Well my experience with EFI is small at this stage with only one car modified with the use of a after market computer etc. I am not to sure on the level of the discussions as it is a bit like joining a TV series after the 5 th episode. A brief over view of my self. I am studying Mechanical engineering in New Zealand and have a immense interest in smaller car's and power. Basically to cut thing's short I enjoy power not size. If you want to know more the go to my web page listed below.

I am just starting to investigate the prospect of developing a full PC based engine controller. I have seen the pc based one at the site and want to attempt a slightly different approach. I plan on using a PC Notebook on full time operation controlling the car through the parallel and serial ports. I am not to sure whether there are enough data line between the two but plan to find out. The reason for this approach is the a 2nd hand 386__ notebook with 20meg Hd and 8 meg of memory are selling very cheap. EG $200-300 NZ and with the addition of now more than $50 of parts an operational real time adjustable, Smart and adaptable system can be developed. The price of a Cheap After market system here is in excess of $1200 and that excludes ignition control. Some of the features I plan to incorporate are:

1: independently pulsed injectors.

2: distribuless ignition.

3: Variable injector timing.

4: Boost, cam etc control options or what ever.

5: Security on computer (password protection). Computer can be locked out. Also can simply monitor battery voltages, control fuel solenoids, operate sirens.

The only problems I can for see are.

1: Computer will have to run full time except on long shut downs were it can be switched off. It will not be hard to automate control of power saving features built in and also automatic power down with low charge battery.

2: Possible problems isolating noise (ignition, alternator etc) due to electromagentic and also due to computer powered by car battery.

3: Shocks on hardware like Hard drive etc. I don't think this will be a problem as shocks are of low gee's (excluding rallying).

4: Stability. Some computers tend to just crash and other run fine for years non stop. This will be mainly hit and miss with the initial purchase of the computer. Also Programming will need to be bulletproof.

5: Control lines. The parallel port only has 8 data lines. eg 4 fuel injector controllers and 4 ignition pulsers. Will need inputs like map, RPM (flywheel sensor), temp, TPS (optional), Battery voltage, etc.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. The project I plan to implement this into is either a Fiat 850 sport coupe or a Hillman imp 850. the motor will probably be a Suzuki swift GTI motor (1300, 16 valve, EFI, good power and light and cheap to run, Also hopefully bullet proof). Other mods will hopefully be extensive.

Last of all check out my Web page. It has heaps of projects and ideas.

Paul

<center>

Paul Rosser

</color>587 Frankley Rd	             	Ph  64 6 7539372

New Plymouth				Fax 64 3 7539372

New Zealand

<bold><underline>http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/3812

</center>