ECM ID (was:delco data link)

Scot Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Mon Feb 24 22:51:01 GMT 1997

steve ravet wrote:

> On a related note, is there a simple way to tell by looking at the
> ECM if it is a C3 or P4?  I know vettes had the P4 ECMs, what other
> models/engines did?

I think that all C3's have just two connectors, which are mounted on
the short side of the box.  The 86-89 Camaro TPI's are P4, and have just
two connectors, also on the short side.  Most all the P4's have three
connectors on the long side of the box.  An exception is the underhood
ECM's in the Corvette and Grand Prix, they have 4 connectors.... There
was also a 4 cylinder P4 ECM that used two edge card connectors.

There is no hard and fast rule that I know of.  Open it up and look
inside.  The C3's use a 40 pin DIP for the processor.  The P4's are 52
pin PLCCs.  It helps to know the ECM you want, and go look for it.

I went looking this weekend, and picked up three more ECMs.  An 89 Olds
Quad 4, an underhood GP ECM (both P4s), and a C3 from an 84 Turbo
Skyhawk.  The Skyhawk did not use a 2732 EPROM like most of the other
C3's.  Does anyone know what this EPROM is?  The pinout is very similar
to a standard memory chip, but the data seems odd when read as a 2732.

Thanks, Scot Sealander    Sealand at clarityconnect.com