Nissan Injectors....what gives ??

Stephen Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Feb 26 01:09:29 GMT 1997

I've just spent the last few days doing a complete wire trace (several
times !!) for the newly installed aftermarket injection system on my
Datsun.  The reason ??.......even though the computer says it is getting an
RPM signal (via a crank trigger indicating TDC) there was nary a peep out
of the injectors.   I thought maybe the injector drivers had died.

Now, almost by accident, I've found the likely cause of the problem.  I'd
been advised to use 'ballast' resistors in series with these injectors as
they are from an early 80's Nissan L28 engine and that's what Nissan did in
those days.  I was told  the injectors wouldn't work properly without them.
In a last desperate act to get the engine running, I  bypassed the
resistors to power the injectors direct - lo and behold,  the engine starts
and runs beautifully !!

Can anyone shed any light on this ??.  The injectors show a resistance of
2.5 Ohm in each case, which I'm told means that they need to run with the
ballast resistors, but are there exceptions to this rule ?? (it seems that
I have one !!).   Am I risking damage to my computer, injectors or anything
else by doing this ?? (ie running without the resistors).  BTW, the
resistors are off an engine of the same period and checkout OK.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stephen Lamb
Dept. of Defence DSTO, AMRL
506 Lorimer Street