Torque BS Filter '' (cont)

RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mail.orbeng.com.au
Wed Feb 26 02:43:33 GMT 1997

(cont...)

>And finally, my question about the massive torque claimed for truck -
>truck diesels is not a "so there!!" but a so explain to me why
>because those numbers are very real and I am truly curious.

The numbers are probably real. You can have an engine produce 800
ft-lb and still only 100 bhp if it's speed limited.

Remember power is proportional to speed * torque.  In NA engines,
torque is limited by the charging that 760 mm Hg will give you,
therefore if you want more power, you'll have to spin it faster.

Another way of looking at it is power is airflow, whereas torque is
VE*Volume.  You can pump more air by spinning the engine faster, or
you can improve the gas exchange process to improve your VE, or you
can simply make your engine bigger.