injecting a *small* engine

August de Heij MBWTB57 at w.ft.HSE.NL
Thu Feb 27 10:21:13 GMT 1997

Hi Paul,
thanks for your reply.
I have a few remarks tough:

>  Since it is on such=
>  a small scale you will having trouble getting sensors and injectors to run=
>  at such low increments.

As I said, it has been done by the Tippa fuel economy team. So there
must be a way. Nothing personal, but I want to hear all there is
before saying it's a no go on EFI.

>  since it is OHC engine I presume its a 4 stroke. Have you tried to get it=
>  cam'ed. Do things like port it and increase the compression ratio. Crank=
>  the timing forward and use a proper race carb. These mods will yield more=
>  power than EFI will give you.

The head has been flowed/tuned (whatever you call it) I've fitted an
advancing flywheel and put the timing forward. A Keihin 19mm takes
care of the fuel delivery. The standard airbox is replaced for a
sports filter. An oilcooler from a citroen 2CV is fitted. 70 cc can be
used for 4- strokes in the moped races here to be a bit more
competitive to 50cc 2-strokes.
I'm currently adjusting the piston for higher compression and will
build a lighter clutch assembly soon.
The speed was over 100 km/h. I'm going to get a race cam from Japan
and some other stuff so it's going to get faster.
I'm planning to build the Digital distributorless ignition system if
any of you can tell me it's good. I think it is. So maybe EFI is just
a wild guess, but if I can do it ,cheap, then I will, just for the
challenge. Was thinking of turbocharging too, but that would be a
hell of a challenge :-)
Looked at your page. A 2-stroke minibike is still a different story.
After seeing it, I would not feel so safe driving it around 100 km/h
Adjusting a whole bike takes a lot longer to do properly (brakes,
etc..), which you already know, ofcourse. Your mini-bike is just for
fun. Time, work, some money and ofcourse some help from other
enthusiasts can help build a race bike. That's why I have contact
with fellow 4-stroke moped racers in The Netherlands and the United
Kingdom and plan to organize a 4-stroke moped racing association.
And why I called upon DIY-EFI.

August.