What is 100% VE?

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Fri Feb 28 04:35:35 GMT 1997

At 10:43 PM 2/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >100% VE is no big deal to a racing engine.  I have personally run a
>317 cubic inch small block Chevy that pulled 129% on a Superflow dyno
>we were calibrating.  ~13:1 CR, Victor Jr intake, ported Chevy heads, 6"
>rods, and a relatively mild (by racing standards) roller cam.
>
> It's a sad excuse for a motorcycle engine that won't pull over 100%.

  C'mon!  You go to 4000rpm?  Try designing in/ex maniforlds on a bike that
brings the rev-limiter in at 15000rpm.  I see your point, but w/o some
manifold valve (like the EX-UP in the FZR1000) to play w/
pressure/velocities it would be really tough to design 100+% VE and keep
the thing driveable.  It sucks when you have a narrow peak in the torque
curve somewhere, the thing is leaned over as far as you care to go, and the
rear wheel has more umph than it can put on the ground all of a sudden.
(Carbs do suck sometime;)  I bet the GSXR750 gets 100+%.  The say it really
isn't useable below 7-8k rpm (but above that - whew;)
SMD
-- see you in daytona...