Torque BS filter

Wouter de Waal wrm at ccii.co.za
Fri Feb 28 17:58:20 GMT 1997

Hi all

George sez:

>Imagine driving a car which peaks at 1500 or 2000 revs or less? Might go

Hmmm. My Land Rover feels like it does... :-)

>flat out all day but it would be a pain to drive...And rebuilds every 25000
>to 50000 hrs would annoy the hell out of me. (I'm not sure of the rebuild
>hours for truck engines, but I know fixed Cats are in this range or near it...)

Erm, waitasec, holdit... I would say that 100000 km (60k miles) to 300000 km
(180k miles) is a good to *really* good life for a car engine. Cars don't
last so long 'cause they tend to stand around idling for long periods, but
then again so does cats. Now diesel generators might be a different kettle
of fish. Anyway, assume something like 30km/h as the average speed you drive
at. That gives 3000-10000 hours before rebuild time. I would *love* 25000
hours :-)

W (Now back after some serious work commitments and catching up on email)