Ford Ranger

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 3 23:37:01 GMT 1997

Peter Shoebridge wrote:

> Any help/comment on the issue below would be greatly appreciated:
>
> My friend has am '88 ford ranger 2.9 v6. I don't know too much about it but
> he has a problem with it stalling occasionally when taing his foot off the
> throttle. Doesn't seem to have any relation to temp, can happen straight
> after starting or after several hours of running. Only common aspect is
> going to closed throttle and sometimes it's fine, other it's not.
>
> AFAIK plugs/leads/dist cap etc are all in good cond. It's been into a ford
> dealer and they couldn't fix it although I'm not sure how hard they
> tried......
>
> Any advise welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Peter S

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but V-6 chevys used to have a
similar stalling problem.  The problem is caused by a dirty throttle
body.  Basically, a small percentage of idle air still flows through the
throttle blade, and the idle air control motor (IAC) controls the rest
of the air.  When there is carbon buildup around the throttle plate
area, the air flow around the throttle blade is reduced or eliminated.
During cruising, the IAC may be nearly closed.  If you take your foot of
the pedal suddenly, the IAC will not respond fast enough, because the
calibration is counting on the little bit of flow through the throttle
blade.  Anyway, even if this is not the problem, it doesn't cost
anything to check it.

Best Regards, Mazda