Ford Ranger

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Mon Jan 6 18:43:42 GMT 1997

Dumb question??? That must be one I can answer.  ;-)

Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. Gives crankcase gasses a place to go.
Since they are combustible, someone back in about 1964 figured out they can
route the gasses through a one way valve (controlled vacuum leak) into the
intake manifold or carburetor base plate, getting rid of the gasses by
burning them. I guess it was really the first ancestor of emission control.

-j-