octane booster

Scot O. Stockton scot at nodoubt.sp.trw.com
Tue Jan 7 18:07:57 GMT 1997

~>Hi guys. I *think* I am running out of octane in my BMW 530i - I have high
~>compression pistons, and the car is choking at high rpms. Have checked most
~>of the obvious things like fuel pressure, filter, etc.
~>
~>I read here that xylene or Toluene is the way to get more octane. How much
~>should one add to each tank?
~>
~>What is the minimum octane I would need with 9.5:1 pistons?
~
~If low octane gas was the problem wouldn't you have detonation over the
~whole rpm range? But b4 you do anything radical tank up with some racing gas
~and see what happens.
~
~
~Snake
~no cool Fords yet, one cool Dodge

Scot peeks out from his cave:

With the new gas I have found that adding Toluene to my gas reduces
detonation.  I started with a 10:1 mix of gas to toluene (118 octane
using the analysis method I believe), but I have found that a quart
for 10 gal 92 octane fuel is sufficient to bring the electronics loop
back into operational range for casual driving conditions.

What I think happened is that the new gas here w/o the octane boost
moved the high rpm ignition advance required beyond the range of the
electronics and I began detonating at ~4500 rpm.  Bringing the octane
up lowered the advance required curing detonation.

Don't use xylene at home.

Hi Snake!  Fancy meeting you here!

I'll crawl back into my cave now.

L8r,
-S                                [EFI Rat infested '39 Ford Tudor Sedan Deluxe]
{Chopped, nosed, shaved, slammed and frenched -
                                       - sounds sorta like Cher or Michael, no?}