octane booster

Sandy sganz at westworld.com
Tue Jan 7 19:50:02 GMT 1997

I used to run Toulene in my street driven 12.7:1 427 chevy when I used to
street race. All I can say is that it worked very well, except for all the
people wondering why my car had a suspitious exaust odor... I used a
scientific methode to mix it, about 2 gals to 20 gals of fuel, _but_ I'm not
sure how bad that is for fuel system components. Be careful, as toulene is a
very bad chemical to most things in your car, paint, plastics, and your
health are included. I can't really beleive that your 530 should ping, as
the conmpression is not that high, I have a 1980 323i alpina, and it has
that compression or better (150kmiles), and I have never had a ping when
running 92 gas. What year is the your 530? Most later BMW's had knock
control I thought?

Sandy

At 10:07 AM 1/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>~>Hi guys. I *think* I am running out of octane in my BMW 530i - I have high
>~>compression pistons, and the car is choking at high rpms. Have checked most
>~>of the obvious things like fuel pressure, filter, etc.
>~>
>~>I read here that xylene or Toluene is the way to get more octane. How much
>~>should one add to each tank?
>~>
>~>What is the minimum octane I would need with 9.5:1 pistons?
>~
>~If low octane gas was the problem wouldn't you have detonation over the
>~whole rpm range? But b4 you do anything radical tank up with some racing gas
>~and see what happens.
>~
>~
>~Snake
>~no cool Fords yet, one cool Dodge
>
>Scot peeks out from his cave:
>
>With the new gas I have found that adding Toluene to my gas reduces
>detonation.  I started with a 10:1 mix of gas to toluene (118 octane
>using the analysis method I believe), but I have found that a quart
>for 10 gal 92 octane fuel is sufficient to bring the electronics loop
>back into operational range for casual driving conditions.
>
>What I think happened is that the new gas here w/o the octane boost
>moved the high rpm ignition advance required beyond the range of the
>electronics and I began detonating at ~4500 rpm.  Bringing the octane
>up lowered the advance required curing detonation.
>
>Don't use xylene at home.
>
>Hi Snake!  Fancy meeting you here!
>
>I'll crawl back into my cave now.
>
>L8r,
>-S                                [EFI Rat infested '39 Ford Tudor Sedan
Deluxe]