Miller Cycle

Joeri de Haas Haas at wt.tno.nl
Wed Jan 8 18:17:14 GMT 1997

Hi paul,

I think you mis-understood the principle. Miller cycle tries to have a
relativly smaller compression ratio and a larger expansion ratio. Therefore
Mazda closes the inlet valve very late which allows air to be pushed back
from the cylinder into the inlet manifold, which in fact shortens the
compression stroke. This allows you to run a higher volumetric compression
ratio which increases thermal efficiency during the expansion.

The downside is that your volumetric efficiency drops enormously. Therefore
you have to boost your inlet pressure to keep an acceptable power output.

Hope this clarifies what you have seen.

Kind regards

Joeri de Haas