mtbe, hc05

tim gooding TGOODING at sivm.si.edu
Wed Jan 8 18:36:08 GMT 1997

Hi all-

Our team runs the WERA National Endurance series on a Yamaha YZF 600.
We've never had pre-ignition problems with the stock black box, and
~12.5:1 static compression ratio. We use 93 pump gas because its
cheap(you burn a lot of gas endurance racing). I am curious if this mtbe
stuff from the octane boost thread can give you a measureable power
increase because it is "oxygenated". Powermist sells something for
$16ish a gallon which is not practical here. If this stuff causes
cancer, is it the sort of thing where you shouldn't be in the same
county, or use gloves and a respirator when rejetting, or what?

On another topic, I'm curious about using a Motorola 68hc05 chip in a
programmable ignition. Should I look at the hc11 or the 332 instead? The
hc05 has input and output capture and compare features that seem useful,
but that chip doesn't show up in automotive discussions.

Tim Gooding MinFab AOD