hc05

Johan Rodling Johan.Rodling at Jrt.SE
Wed Jan 8 20:01:57 GMT 1997

>>Reply to your message of 1997-01-08 21:40
Tim Gooding wrote:

[snip]
>>On another topic, I'm curious about using a Motorola 68hc05 chip in a
>>programmable ignition. Should I look at the hc11 or the 332 instead? The
>>hc05 has input and output capture and compare features that seem useful,
>>but that chip doesn't show up in automotive discussions.
>>=20

I think that you should go for the HC11 or the HC332 mainly becaus there ar=
e a lot of good C-compilers for those CPU's. The best comersial C-compiler =
for the HC11 is made by IAR in UPPSALA, SWEDEN. I for one should know since=
 I'm doing the beta testing of it ;-). Regarding the HC332, you can use the=
 GNU C and C++ compiler called gcc. This ones a freeware.

Why not the HC05? Well, its to limited in memory and it can't handle extern=
al RAM & PROM. Otherwise its a very nice CPU which Ive used a lot. The othe=
r reason is that there are NO good C-compilers around for the HC05 due to t=
he lack of stack space in the CPU. I think the stack can be 32 bytes deep o=
nly!

Good Luck with your chois of CPU. Any questions welcome.

	/JR

-74 Jaguar XJ5.3 L (V12)
Johan Rodling                                          Email:  Johan.Rodlin=
g at Jrt.SE
JoRoTech HB                                          Phone:  +46 (0)18 36 9=
0 91     =20
Borje, Stromsborg                                     Fax:    +46 (0)18 36 =
91 02     =20
SE-755 92 Uppsala, Sweden                   Mobile: +46 (0)708 385 380