Newbie-intro

J. Forbes jforbes at primenet.com
Thu Jan 9 21:30:53 GMT 1997

At 11:14 AM 1/9/97 -0600, John Hess wrote:

>You might find out that the engine won't run at all!  Your '86
>(assuming you are using all the original stuff off it) is a MAF
>engine, while the '91 is MAP.  The best option would be to assemble
>the package WITHOUT the cold start enrichment injector and use the '89
>PROM.

Well, actually, I finally finished the harness and put it in last night, and
the engine fired right up!!!!  Surprised the daylights out of me   :)

I forgot to mention, that when the guy put the 90 engine in his 86 Vette, he
used his 86 runners and upper plenum, so the 90 runners and plenum came with
the 86 and are on the car I'm working on....no cold start injector.  No MAF
sensor.

The thing runs pretty bad, seems to have two cylinders not firing right or
at all, misses quite a bit.  I just did a compression check, 150# across the
board.  The distributor cap looks funky, it had some water in the coil area
while in storage, and the coils all rusty, but I didnt see any evidence that
this is causing the problem.  On my old Sun tune up scope, cylinders 2 and 5
have a different spark pattern than the rest, there's kind of a second spike
at the end of the firing period.  Those plugs are wet, also.  Might be a
couple bad injectors, they were supposed to have been cleaned and tested by
a shop, but perhaps they didnt really test them....I might switch a couple
and see if the misfire moves around with the injectors.

The misfire doesnt seem to be a mixture problem, the exhaust analyzer shows
about 1 to 2 % CO and about 100 to 200 PPM HC while running, which are good
numbers for an non-catalyst engine.  Very odd...usually an ignition missfire
will send the HC level thru the roof, which is what leads me to believe the
injectors might be acting up.  If there's no fuel, then there's no HC.

Jim
Jim and Janet Forbes                          jforbes at primenet.com
Sierra Vista, AZ             URL= http://www.primenet.com/~jforbes