Miller Cycle

kleenair at ix.netcom.com kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 10 17:35:04 GMT 1997

ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV wrote:

> I appreciate the knowledgable and friendly discussion
> of this rather arcane topic.  I was confident this
> would be THE place to discuss it.
>
> My post started this thread, and it has moved to a
> discussion of high compression pistons, after
> the historical use was discussed.
>
> In my case, I am only interested in supercharging,
> thus there is no internal modifications, save the
> camshaft, which seems easy compared to pistons.
> You see I was interested in superchargering 2.0 -2.5
> liter motors with standard compression ration.
> My dicovery of the Miller cycle at the LA atuo show
> this past monday, just adds a new wrinkle to this idea.
>
> I am not sure how the following paragraph applies:
>
> >The economy benefits of the Miller Cycle are certainly attractive in an
> >automobile, but a special cam is a big step that can be avoided.  Rather
> > than  modifying the cam and valvetrain, a servo system can control the
> >throttle advance so that the MAP is limited to safe value.  The whole
> >system can be designed, built, debugged and tested prior to tearing the
> >engine down to install the high compression pistons. The risk and cost
> >of >an incomplete project is quite low.
>
> >MAP would provide the feedback and knock detection would determine the
> >maximum MAP.  This should be a quick and flexible home
>
> Perhaps it is the use of the term "throttle advance" that is throwing me.
> Perhaps you mean to say that you can attenuate the efi flow electronically?
> Thanks again for the useful discussions.
>
> paul timmerman

I don't see where you have gained anything without the Cam modification.
 By raising compression and limiting throttle angle, you are basically
running a high compression motor at less than full load.  Not very
innovative!  Controlling the air flow is no problem, as you can do this
with a drive by wire system relatively easily.  The above description is
not a Miller Cycle engine.

I guess "throttle advance" means throttle openning angle.