Nippondenso....

Chris Denzler cdenzler at pacific.telebyte.com
Fri Jan 10 20:14:19 GMT 1997

 Land Shark said:

> Agreed.. but STEP ONE is to disassemble the SOFTWARE, not just
>  "find the maps"...
>
>  I'll help anyone who wants to do it the RIGHT way!!
>
>  (which is NOT the easy way!)

Ok, now.  I want to do it the RIGHT way, but at the moment that isn't
possible.

I had a Ducati 851 a few years ago (Weber/Marelli ECU) and wrote a
disassembler for the 6803/6801 processor.  Dis'ed the code, spent
months examining the control flow and function of the 'spaghetti code'
and commenting around 1% of it until I gave up.   It seems like from
the software side only, you can only figure out so much before you need
a scope and a logic analyzer.

Now.  I was lucky enough to get an EPROM dump from a Nippondenso ECU, as
fitted to a 1997 Suzuki TL1000S.  No idea what the CPU is, the ECU was
potted with some RTV-like stuff.   I have isolated some maps, which lie
right near the beginning of the address space of the EPROM.

When I take delivery of my TL1000, (maybe march) I can possibly dig out
the potting and identify the cpu.  Until then, it's pretty much speculation.

Could the Denso ECU possibly be the same as other auto applications?  Does
Denso typically design in any "tricks" like checksums to thwart reverse
engineering?  Any other ideas to keep me busy for the next couple of months
until I get an ECU in my hands?

TIA,

                                            - Chris