mtbe, hc05

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Fri Jan 10 22:09:50 GMT 1997

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, William A. Sarkozy wrote:

> e without pinging.
> >MTBE as far as I know doesn't have any toxic side affects.  It's the
> >active ingredient in "104 octane boost".
> >cheers
> >jw
> >
> I accessed the "104 Octane Boost" web page and they say there is NO MTBE in
> their products....what's up?
>

>    Bill

Interesting.  It used to.  I ran a mass spec on it back in undergrad and
identified MTBE as the major ingredient (~80%).   I'll hit the Merck
index and check out this toxicity stuff.  Maybe they stopped using it for
a reason?  Also a variant of MTBE (which I can't remember right now) is
probably what they have uesed instead.
cheers
jw