Smog Stuff

Jennifer Rose javer96 at snowcrest.net
Sat Jan 11 06:19:52 GMT 1997

Mike

        I will have to find the phone number for GM SPORT SALVAGE, post later.
The problem the ref found were minor-
        1. Air valve for cats was capped- needed to remove cap, muffler ok.
                My chassis was not setup for cats.

        2. Check engine lite has to read check engine- went to u-pull-it, found
                one from newer car.

        3. Had trouble code set in memory- opps forgot to clear before
inspection.

        4. Didn't pass sniffer test- Used a 180 deg thermo- changed to 195 deg
                passed easy.

All in all the ref was fairly impressed with my first inspection-most all
the emission equipment was in place and working. He had seen several
conversion with no or little emission equipment-including a hacked TPI unit
converted from MAF to MAP from a local shop. Reading JTR book several times
helped greatly.
Have shop manual for my pickup, 86 Camaro- got to know both wiring diagrams
very well.
        Still not done with fine details.  Recently changed my 86 eprom to a
89 eprom to remove cold start injector.  Warm restarts much better now! Last
bit of fabrication is a aluminum fan shroud.   The main part of conversion
was as follows-gather parts, info six months. Modify Camaro\truck wire
harness into one
"stock like" harness three months. Plumb truck to use high pressure and
return line for fuel. My truck has dual tanks, low pressure pump, small gas
tank, high pressure pump, three fuel filters, cross over valve- about a
month. Install TPI unit- finish MAF install(had to remove stock fan shroud)
-  change a few minor details-three day weekend- this was the only time
truck was not drivable. Spent about a week clearing up little problems that
came up. Had friend in local shop scan the data for problems- He was
concerned about block learn numbers. Drove the truck for about  four months-
then went to smog ref- two trips in about two weeks. Its been about three
years now-enjoy cold start\running, low end torque,general disability( once
in awhile drive a carb vehicle and go nuts).
In the process of helping friend do same type conversion to his truck. If
your going to be in the Redding area drop me an e-mail so we can get together.

Vance