Motronic

Scot A. Sealander Sealand at clarityconnect.com
Sat Jan 11 18:31:20 GMT 1997

thor at pixie.co.za wrote:

> Nobody is questioning Todd's perogative of divulging any information
> which may put him out of business, however, his comments (remarks) made
> to someone who merly requested some information and help in this forum, I
> believe, is not in the spirit of this group.

I respectfully disagree.

> Remeber, there may be someone out there who also has the requested
> information, and is willing to share it.

Interesting.  The only people who I have found that want to "share it" are
those who the info cost them nothing. Nothing, as in no expense, no sweat,
no long hours pouring over code or ECM hardware. In other words, they got
an illegal copy of say, a GM calibration document and have no problem
passing along someone else's effort.  The info is not valuable to them, as
they "paid" nothing for it.

In Jim and Todd's case, I fully understand their reluctance to put it all
that effort out front, and most would not understand it anyway!

I have seen "read-it-in-a-magazine ECM experts" on various automotive
mailing lists, who must have never seen a line of code, telling others how
things work.  Their mis-information is sometimes amazing.  I responded to a
TPS question once, and got a "Clearly, you have no knowledge here"
response.  It was because of the "common knowledge" that these experts
continue to purpetuate.  It takes a long time to stop urban legend....

Even book authors and magazine writers can put out mis-information.  A
popular book says "Rotating the TPS counterclockwise increases the voltage
and results in a richer air/fuel ratio......"  This is in error, but
because it is published, I guess it is considered truth.... ;-)  Or a
recent magazine article that said "The oxygen sensor .... is the primary
input to the fuel delivery system."  Another serious error.

Jim and Todd have taken the considerable time and effort it takes to really
find out how the BMW/Porsche boxes function, (and did not read magazines to
get there) and most here do not understand the time and serious effort
involved, or their level of expertise at this.  (Just ask the person who
said they had 1% of code commented and gave up.  The only real difference
between Jim/Todd and this person may be that they did not give up!

I like Jim's offer of help to those who would help themselves.  It is
admirable and shows true class in my opinion.... YMMV.

Scot Sealander   Sealand at clarityconnect.com