TPI questions from me

peter paul fenske pfenske at direct.ca
Sun Jan 12 01:48:34 GMT 1997

Chomp munchee_______----__--_-_--_----

>start injector? What is the difference between the speed density system
>and the mass Air Flow? Would one be more desirable for my application?
>Is one system better? Also, it seems as if everone on the list perferes
>the 89 EPROM, why?
>
>Mike Jones
>rwj5125 at electriciti.com

Hi Mike

Reason people malign the 85 is not because of the components but
because of the older ecm used. It is a C3 version #870 with a slower
interface rate of 160 baud. Also uses an older processor a varaint
of the 6801 motorola.

The 86-89 ecms are an intermediate step. Capable of both 160 and 8192
baud aldl. The number for these ecms is #165. People perfer
the 89 calibration since they think the cold start system which is
independant of the ecm is failure prone. I have never had a problem
but I suppose one can.

Now these systems are all mass airflow sensor based. Thus you
will always need a sensor that can cost you from 200 to 500 dollars
when it goes. Of course maf will handle considerable engine changes
without fussing.

Now on too the 90-92 map driven systems. Lots of 730 ecms and harness in
the millions of J cars. Celebs, cavaliers ect ect.
I usually pay 80$ canadian here for a ecm and harness.
The calibration is cheap. 50$ canadian and part number 1615348 gets you
the calibration package. The map sensor is cheaper and doesn't require
you to relocate your rad, just kiddin.

Mind you map doesn't handle massive engine changes..

GL:peter