Forwarded: Re: Airflow measurement - again...

Evert Rosseel Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be
Mon Jan 13 09:01:17 GMT 1997

> His idea was basically based
> on mounting a small object in the air flow path via an arm that has a
> strain gauge.  Increased air flow equates to change in the load cell
> reading.  To cancel out vehicle dynamics an identical setup outside the
> flow path is used and the signals are subtracted.

This is very similar to the system used in the Bosch K-jetronic
mechanical fuel injection, where a plate (located in the air flow) and
arm are used to control the fuel flow to the injectors. Such a system
will always cause relatively large flow losses, and therefore
deteriorate maximum power.

Also, I imagine the 2 load cells will make the system quite
expensive.

Evert
*    Dr. ir. Evert Rosseel                                             *
*    Laboratory for Machines                                   *
*    Department of Mechanical and Thermal Engineering          *
*    University Gent                                           *
*    Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Gent, Belgium            *
*    Tel : ++32 9 264.33.06                                    *
*    Fax : ++32 9 264.35.86                                    *
*    Email : Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be                           *
*    WWW : http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~erosseel/motoren.htm      *