More TPI questions from me

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Mon Jan 13 14:59:33 GMT 1997

What is the difference between the 85 vs. 89 system.

Too numerous to describe.  It was the first generation TPI system and
was significantly changed for '86.  The '86 through 89 is pretty
consistent (some mapping and other variances to basically the same
system)

I know the 85 uses a cold-start injector system while the 89 and up
units do not. Why is
one better then the other? Why does everone want to eleminate the
cold
start injector?
I don't know that EVERYONE DOES.  I do. The cold start injector is
simply something else to go awry.  If it can be gotten rid of with
programming, then do so.

What is the difference between the speed density system
and the mass Air Flow?
Speed densiity measures the manifold pressure as the controlling item
whereas Mass Air Flow measures the actual volume of air the system is
using.

Would one be more desirable for my application?

Depends.  If you are building a machine that you will be developing
over a period of time, or for the street, the MAF might be a better
solution in that it works with a very wide variance of modifications,
including cam, exhaust, intake, etc.  On the other hand, if you are
looking for maximum performance on and engine (system) that is
finished, the MAP (with proper mapping) will generally yield greater
horsepower (at least as great as a well tuned carburetor).

Is one system better? Also, it seems as if everone on the list
perferes
the 89 EPROM, why?

According to what you are doing, each has its benefits (described
above).  As for the '89 EPROM, it was the last of the '86 - '89
programs, so for that genre, the '89 has all the goodies developed for
the model.  In '90, the system changed to MAP.  Got a little
horsepower;  but, became a little more difficult to modify without
remapping.

Mike Jones
rwj5125 at electriciti.com