Motronic

Chris Denzler cdenzler at pacific.telebyte.com
Mon Jan 13 17:59:47 GMT 1997

> Jim and Todd have taken the considerable time and effort it takes to really
> find out how the BMW/Porsche boxes function, (and did not read magazines to
> get there) and most here do not understand the time and serious effort
> involved, or their level of expertise at this.  (Just ask the person who
> said they had 1% of code commented and gave up.  The only real difference
> between Jim/Todd and this person may be that they did not give up!

I'm new to the list, and the 1%er referred to above.  I don't know Jim and
Todd other than the postings from the last few days,  I don't see anything
wrong with their attitude.  I had my own reasons for giving up at the 1%
mark.   I had a good race EPROM at the time that worked well at racing RPMs
and throttle openings.   I wasn't going to keep the bike, in fact I vowed to
never own a Weber/Marelli injected bike ever again.   Also, I had reached
what I felt was the point of diminishing returns from the software side of
things:  without a scope and logic analyzer I was stuck in a mire.  ("So
what sensor is REALLY located at D8F0?")

Anyway, this looks like a great list and I hope to learn from the collective
experiences of you all, as well as impart whatever little nugget of info
that I can.

So let me ask....Do the gurus approach the task from a software and hardware
perspective simultaneously, disassembling the code as well as using test
equipment to figure out what, when, where, and how?

                                     - Chris