More TPI questions

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Tue Jan 14 18:58:32 GMT 1997

----------
From:
 txhartma at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com[SMTP:txhartma at spdmail.spd.dsccc.com]
Sent:  Tuesday, January 14, 1997 8:28 AM
To:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject:  More TPI questions

> From: John Hess <JohnH at ixc-comm.net>
>
> What is the difference between the 85 vs. 89 system.
>
> Too numerous to describe.  It was the first generation TPI system
and
> was significantly changed for '86.  The '86 through 89 is pretty
> consistent (some mapping and other variances to basically the same
> system)
>
> I know the 85 uses a cold-start injector system while the 89 and up
> units do not. Why is
> one better then the other? Why does everone want to eleminate the
> cold
> start injector?
> I don't know that EVERYONE DOES.  I do. The cold start injector is
> simply something else to go awry.  If it can be gotten rid of with
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> programming, then do so.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ok - lets say that I have an '87 TPI - basically stock.  Can I
just swap out a PROM for the '89 TPI to eliminate the cold-start
injector
on my '87??  IOW, is there a hardware(wire harness) difference
that would prevent this (other than the cold-start injector wiring)
??

Yes!  You can do exactly that!.  It is generally recommended that you
disconnect the lead to the existing cold-start valve and, in fact,
completely remove it and plug up the hole in your manifold and fuel
rail.  I have not accomplished that, yet, but DID disconnect the lead.
 JAH

thanks for any insight/advise

(this may lead to more questions ;)  )

T.

--
Terry Hartman           voice:(972) 519-2920           ,,,
txhartma at spd.dsccc.com                                (o o)