Funny Honda CBR600F1 Ignition pickoff

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Thu Jan 16 15:14:09 GMT 1997

At 11:05 AM 1/15/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Have a question:
>
>  The ignition pickoff on the Honda CBR600 has 9 teeth, then a gap of
>about 120 degrees.  Anybody know why they did this?  I'm trying to use
>the same pickup (splice the wire) to synchronize (hopefully in a seq.
>port FI) the injection to the intake valve openings.  Any tips?
>
>  Does anyone here know how the spark unit works?  Thanks!

  'Circuit Cellar' did a 3 part article about a year ago on some FSAE team
(rpi?) that did EFI on a FZR600.  They explained the timing wheel.  The
yamaha also has several teeth and then a long gap.  They explain how the
ignition works, so I wont go into it here.  A lot of the article is
'software oriented' explaining how they did the control sequencing, but
there is enough 'how the engine/hardware' works to make the articles usefull
(Hey, It got me interested in EFI).
SMD (Notice I also own a FiZeR;)

--
Stephen Dubovsky