Motronic

Chris Denzler cdenzler at pacific.telebyte.com
Thu Jan 16 20:54:55 GMT 1997

Thanks for the advice to all those who offered it.

dave said:

> "hardware" method... definetly learn some code. Number ONE step is to
> find the checksum.. the program wont run or allow you to use a scan tool
> if you change bytes without addressing the checksum issue.

The only system I've ever explored previously was the older (pre-93) Weber
Marelli ECU, as used on Ducati and Moto Guzzi motorcycles and (I've heard)
Alfo Romeo 6 cylinder cars.  There wasn't any checksum problem at all, you
could whack in any changes to the EPROM at will.  Is the Motronic checksum
just a loop that adds all the EPROM bytes together and compares that value
to the checksum value?  (don't answer if that is sensitive information, I'm
merely curious and not working on a Motronic system)

                                      - Chris