Valve Train noise

John Hess JohnH at ixc-comm.net
Fri Jan 17 20:46:42 GMT 1997

This is what I mean by an instant expert.  First of all, the very fact
that GM spent those millions dictated that they were obligated to
cover their costs.  The original TPI was designed for the 305 engine
and is woefully inadequate for even a mildly built 350.  The air
foils, ported plenums, opened up MAF do, in fact, increase horsepower
easily measurable on a dyno, 0-60 time, quarter mile, or even the seat
of ones pants.  I agree that the GM MAF system is the way to go for
someone building a street engine.  There are numerous tradeoffs
between maximum horsepower, maximum torque, and drivability.  One
thing we must understand in all this is that GM is forced to build an
engine that meet CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy), emission
controls, smooth idle, low to mid-range torque, and easy cruising at
(in '86) 55 mph.  If the end users concerns lean toward one or more of
these criteria, there are aftermarket products that will satisfy their
needs.  To state that these parts are fraudulent or that the people
who sell them are liars is irresponsible and/or stupid..

While it is true that the requirements of a particular engine may
vary, there are some parts that will increase horsepower and torque,
but were not placed on the original engine purely due to
economics...Headers, dual exhaust (with dual catalytic converters),
high flow air filters, high flow Mass Air Flow sensors, roller
lifters, and throttle body air foils are notable among these.  Even
the calpak can be remapped for improved performances if done so to
accomodate a particular engine and driving conditions.  These engines
(from the factory) are made for mass production.  Plainly and simply,
they are designed so that the lowest common denominator is met.