Electromotive TPI

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Fri Jan 17 23:52:54 GMT 1997

> I've seen so many negative responses regarding Electromotive, I can't
>  believe they're still in business!  Is it because of idiots like me who
>  purchase the product prior investigating it properly (with people like you
>  on this newsgroup)?

Well, it depends.  The people here in the DIY-EFI forum are probably a small
portion of potential EFI customers that Electromotive (or any other vendor
for that matter) would have, therefore I can say with confidence that they
would do enough business to stay in business.  That alone doesn't mean they
are a good vendor or not, I'm not arguing that point at all... yet. <G>

In a theoretical sense, if you are making decent profit on every sale, and do
get, lets say 5% returns, for whatever reason, you still can stay in
business.  Most retail businesses only accept returns if the goods are in
"resaleable" conditions, meaning unscathed in anyway.  Then, the boxes are
re-taped and resold.  Not all, but most retail or mail order businesses work
this way.

Another thing to keep in mind is level of dissatisfaction.  You and I might
perceive "lack of customer service" to be different things.  I, being an
arrogant know it all, probably would have less patience for anything funky
going on.  On the other hand, I have a very close friend that waited nearly
six months for a two week delivery on a specific U-Joint for his Blazer.  He
felt slighted, but not enough to get upset over it.  Me on the other hand,
would have driven the Blazer through the storefront's plate glass window to
get their attention.

So what I'm saying here is definately hear what others are saying about a
particular vendor, good and bad, and make your own decision.  Even vendors
screw up from time to time, and as much as they don't want to, they will
continue to screw up on occasion.  It happens.  Part of life.  What makes a
vendor better than another is their willingness to admit the mistake, and
take quick action to rectify it to the customer's satisfaction.

This is at least my view on the subject, no slight or praise intended to
Electromotive at all... never delt with them.  In HS and college I spent 4
years in retail, then two years in outside sales, then self-employed running
a network (LAN) consulting business for three years before working in
corporate America.  I got to appreciate both sides of the "service" coin very
well after all of that.

Cheers,

Fred