68HC11 Learning tools (AKA re:trans)

Johan Rodling Johan.Rodling at Jrt.SE
Sun Jan 19 20:33:15 GMT 1997

Dave Zug wrote:
	>>The HC05 stuff will get you going, instruction set is a subset of
	>>the HC11, HC11 has changed a few and added alot, and taken some away,
	>>but for free its a start, and if you've not been exposed to
	>>microcontrollers, this is a good "learning" one.

It's nice to se so many working with the Motorola suit of MCU's, I my self =
love'em. But in this case I must put out a small warning since the HC05 and=
 HC11 are *NOT* having the same instruction set. They look the same but the=
re are some big diffrences. One is the BIT (BSET, BCLR etc) instruction wer=
e the HC05 mnemonic specifies the bit order number and the HC11 mnemonic sp=
ecifies the bit MASK, e.g HC05 BSET 3,(Foo) sets bit # 3 to '1' but HC11 BS=
ET 3,(Foo) sets bit 0 & 1 to '1'. There are some other hugh diffrences too,=
 like the stack pointer (HC05 5bit & HC11 16 bit).

The HC05 is a true single chip MCU while the HC11 can run i a number of mod=
es, therefor a mush better choise if your a begginer and dont want to spend=
 money on a special HC05 'prom'-burner and special HC05 chips with the litt=
le window so you can erase it.

I must say though that the HC05 is a great MCU, its fast, ist very reliable=
 and you can almost have it making coffie and dance at same time.

The great advatage for HC11 is that there are *VERY* good C-compilers out t=
here, both freeware & buyware and it can handle 64 k of memory in expande m=
ode (the 68HC11K4 handles 1M with intergrated bankswitch). It also comes wi=
th A/D converter, EEprom and lots of timer functions.

When I build my own EFI for my test car (FIAT 128 3p) before going for the =
big one (Jaguar XJ12), I will use the HC11 as brain in that system.

Happy Hacking

	/JR

-74 Jaguar XJ5.3 L (V12)
Johan Rodling                                          Email:  Johan.Rodlin=
g at Jrt.SE
JoRoTech HB                                          Phone:  +46 (0)18 36 9=
0 91     =20
Borje, Stromsborg                                     Fax:    +46 (0)18 36 =
91 02     =20
SE-755 92 Uppsala, Sweden                   Mobile: +46 (0)708 385 380