Old, vanes & vortexes

Frank Evan Perdicaro frank at dsea.com
Mon Jan 20 19:29:21 GMT 1997

I've been out for a few days.

There are various vortex induction systems out there in the
commercial world.  For EFI and carb., there is the Tornado
induction managment system, patented by a local guy (here in
SoCal).  Also, one of the aftermarket EFI "plate" adapters
has sprouted vortex-generator cuts.

Vortex generation can provide lots of oddball benefits, from
better fuel scavaging from the walls, to slight compression,
to more effective squish.  All need tuning.

There is an SAE paper out there, republished in a book I skimmed,
about a spiral/helictical intake tract with the valve at the center.

To put a few threads in the blender, can we make a Hilsch Vortex
Tube in our cylinder heads?

Just yesterday I finished "Race Car Aerodynamics, Designing for
Speed".  Lots of good references, various discussions of vortexes
on the _outside_ of motors.  Air probably cannot tell the difference...

Frank Evan Perdicaro 			Dainippon Screen Engineering of America
BSP, MSCE, not yet LPE; Chevy & Hawk w/ V  3700 Segerstrom Ave
inhouse: frank at server, x1258		     Santa Ana CA
outhouse: frank at dsea.com, 714-546-9491x1258	 92704       DoD:1097