Valve Train noise

John Faubion jfaubion at beaches.net
Thu Jan 23 05:38:25 GMT 1997

> I'm thinking about throttle body size for my 351-C.  So a 650 cfm carb
> would actually flow about 750 cfm if only air was going through it?
> What do people think about using old carbs as throttle bodies?  That is
> if you drill out the venturies.
> Anybody out there done this?

Actually yes. I started with a Holley 750 (List#3310-2) and used a propane
torch to melt the lead holding the booster venturi in place. I left the
basic venturi intact which provides a place to get ported vacuum. I mounted
a standard GM TPS on the end of the throttle shaft and modified the
secondary throttles to open at a 1:1 ratio. The 750 now flows 830 cfm. This
is for a Chevy 427 in a 78 El Camino.

John Faubion
jfaubion at beaches.net