Good experience with Electromotive!!!

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Fri Jan 24 05:30:11 GMT 1997

It seems that I am alone, but I have an Electromotive TEC-II that works
really good.  And Ray, your injectors cant be too big.  I run 8 72LB/hour
injectors on a 351 and the car runs fine with 21 mpg.  I will agree that to
call Electromotive, the staff is less than friendly.  But after calling many
companies in my lifetime, I have learned to deal with problem people.  It
takes a special type of finesse to handle them.  Just like I had my TEC-I
fail the coils.  I called and talked to the owners son.  He said that he had
never heard of this before and wanted to know what I did.  I told him that
this system was on a show car and never abused.  So I sent it in for repair
explaining the story of after how it got wet the coils started to split in
half and melt.  When I called to check on the repair, he still said that he
had never had a unit to this, especially one that was in such good
condition.  As a consolation he offered me a new TEC-II for the price of the
repair ($350).  I even had an un registered copy of the programming software
thanks to the idiots at Turbo Tune in New Jersey from where I bought it and
he said since they did not treat me right, he would only charg me half for
the software liscence.  I thought out of all of this, that they were
extremely fair.

Now for as far as the operation of the controller, it works great.  It does
take some time to understand the basic principle of how the fuel value is
calculated to set it up.  But once you understand it, it is easier to
program than a haltec.  If anyone ever needs help with an Electromotive
programming, let me know, and I can help.  I am running a Twin turboed V8
and have great throttle response, good mileage considering the cam, and it
will start in any weather hot or cold.

And for those people that think that they are junk.  Just look at the first
GM direct fire ignition on the buick grand national.  If the coils look a
lot like the ones on an Electromotive, there is a good reason.  Gm's first
direct fire ignition was purchased from Electromotive, because at the time
their technology in ignition control was the state of the art.  Their
Ignition control chip is patented.

If anyone wants to flame this message, than go ahead.  I don't care.

For some peoples problems with the TEC relate to the mounting of the sensor.
The wheel doesnt have to be so much round, as it cannot be within a 1/2 inch
of other metal and the sensor must have a VERY SOLID mount.  A vibrating
sensor will send the thing crazy.  Also use only carbon core plug wires.
Spiral race core wires will cause miss-fire.

David Doddek        pantera at pobox.com        217-422-3722
69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera (I like to go fast)