Fuel cut-out to conserve fuel

Jody Shapiro jshapiro at Token.Net
Mon Jan 27 16:53:44 GMT 1997

> You'll still have air entering the cylinder that will have to be
> compressed and that will take some energy.  How much energy is the
> question.  The other cylinders will have to compensate for the "dead
> wood" in the cycle by increased fuel consumption, I think.

True, I hadn't really considered that to be a major energy loss.  If
nothing else, the air will be heated by the compression;  makes we wonder
how much cooling Cadillac actually gets out of running some cylinders
with just air (and no fuel).

However, wouldn't most of the energy lost to compression be regained
on the power stroke as the compressed air now has the opportunity to
expand and push slightly on the piston as it heads downward?

-Jody
--
http://www.token.net/~jshapiro/z28/