ABS

Mark Eidson mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com
Wed Jan 29 18:29:55 GMT 1997

I've seen pictures of a toothed wheel on the ring gear in the rear diff.  I
believe this is for ABS.  me

At 11:22 AM 1/29/97 +0000, you wrote:
>My  Grand Cherokee has toothed wheels, with a proximity sensor(like the
>vw, and every other ABS I have seen.)
>It is interesting that I have had it axle deep in soft silt clay, and
>the ABS wouldn't malfunction. It is a pretty neat experience having some
>smidgen of control on super slick mud...
>The shop manual says that the ABS stops functioning below 3 mph, which
>I can verify from a hard brake on dry pavement from 30 mph.
>Because the beast is so heavy, the wheels will lock up when the ABS
>stops compensating in the last 2 feet or so, and you get a nice chirp
>from two or three of the wheels.
>
>I can't think of a reason to hack it, except to turn it into positive
>traction control.
>

>Regards,
>D.
>

>Jens Stobernack wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Mike Turner wrote:
>>

>> > I was one of the people affected by the server glitch and never
>received any
>> > replies (maybe there were none.....), so I'm going to ask again....
>Bosch ABS
>> > use for rotation? Hall effect? Proximity? Something else? Does
>anyone know
>> > what the minimum speed for ABS to be engaged is? Has anyone hacked
>> > one of these?<<<
>> >

>>         I can only speak from VW experience. There is a toothed wheel
>> on the brake hub of each wheel. It spins with the wheel. An inductive
>> pickup sensor seats mm from the wheel, connected to a static part of
>> the car. I think the ABS is always on. Even at slow speeds on ice you
>> can engage it.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Jens
>
><HTML><BODY>
>
><DT>My&nbsp; Grand Cherokee has toothed wheels, with a proximity sensor(like
>the vw, and every other ABS I have seen.)</DT>
>
><DT>It is interesting that I&nbsp;have had it axle deep in soft silt clay,
>and the ABS wouldn't malfunction. It is a pretty neat experience having
>some smidgen of control on super slick mud...</DT>
>
><DT>The shop manual says that the ABS stops functioning below 3 mph, which
>I&nbsp;can verify from a hard brake on dry pavement from 30 mph.</DT>
>
><DT>Because the beast is so heavy, the wheels will lock up when the ABS
>stops compensating in the last 2 feet or so, and you get a nice chirp from
>two or three of the wheels.</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>I can't think of a reason to hack it, except to turn it into positive
>traction control.</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>Regards,&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>D.</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>Jens Stobernack wrote:<BR>
>&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
>&gt; On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Mike Turner wrote:<BR>
> [...]
* Mark Eidson                        Voice: (602)752-6513                 *
*                                      Fax: (602)752-6000                 *
* Manager System Integration and      Home: (602)831-6079                 *
*   Verification                    E-Mail:  mark.eidson at tempe.vlsi.com   *
* VLSI Technology, Inc.                                                   *
* 8375 South River Parkway                                                *
* M/S 265                                                                 *
* Tempe, Arizona     85284                                                *