ABS

Terry McLane 312.630.0533 MCLANE.TERRY at ntrs.com
Fri Jan 31 13:31:16 GMT 1997

    The last posting about ABS not being able to stop faster is incorrect.
    I have found that it DOES make a difference which ABS you have.  I
    currently have three vehicles, two GMs, and  Toyota All-Trac Turbo.
    Both of the GM cars when locked up seem to modulate at a very low
    frequency- you always feel like you could have stopped sooner yourself,
    no matter what the condition.  However, the high-performance system
    that comes with the All-Trac is a complete joy.  From any speed, it
    stops straight, and sooner than I would have been able to do under the
    same circumstances (and I've had a lot of practice with this car!).
    The modulation seems to be of a much higher frequency, and the ABS does
    not engage until you actually get wheel lockup, unlike the GM system.

    By the way, look at recent Car and Driver and Road and Track articles,
    where they do 0-100-0 timings.  The ABS cars are quicker to stop, and
    much easier to control when stopping.

    Having the GM ABS system first, I would have sworn it was the most
    worthless accessory I ever had to purchase.  After owning the Toyota, I
    wouldn't be without it.  Just have to get a good one though.

    Terry
    tm8 at ntrs.com