ABS

FJB203 at aol.com FJB203 at aol.com
Fri Jan 31 14:50:26 GMT 1997

> I can see independent 4 wheel braking as the way to go for maximum
traction.
>  Chevy trucks have the rear wheel only ABS that works off of the tranny
VSS,
>  I think. As we all know, most of the braking is at the front wheels.
What's
>  up with that?  Most full size cars with ABS seem to have 4 wheel
independent
>  ABS.  I got an ABS system off of a police
>  car (93 caprice), Bosh unit. I'd love to hack it. But when you say ABS,
hush
>  is the word. Can't find the necessary info.

The ABS systems that most trucks have over the last few years (Ford as well
as GM) are rear-antilock only.  The reason for this is typically trucks,
especially pickup trucks have a signficantly higher percentage of the
vehicle's weight on the front wheels, rather than the rear wheels, unless
loaded.  Therefore, when unloaded, its very easy to lock the rear wheels and
lose control.

There are plenty of aftermarket ABS systems, one of which I used before... it
contains two small nitrogen-charged cylinders with a small metal diaphram,
which attaches to the brake lines immediately next to the master cylinder,
and causes the anti-lock "caliper pulsing" effect that an electronic system
would accomplish.

George, if you have any questions, email me...

Fred