Porting a TPI intake

Daniel Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Tue Jul 1 01:07:17 GMT 1997

David Doddek wrote:

>Probably would of been easier to have it Extrude Honed.  Since the >intake is
>hard to get inside of it is hard to port and polish.

>David Doddek     pantera at pobox.com    www.pobox.com/~pantera    >217-422-3722
>69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera #6825

Dave,

I looked into extrude hone for the intake, but they wanted a couple of
hundred dollars (like, three hundred?  I threw away the brochure.)

For a measly $195 more, I could get a new "Big Mouth" intake custom
ported by TPIS, with proven dyno numbers.

The technician from Extrude Hone scared me over the phone when he said
that a stock L98 5.7L engine gained 60 HP from the Extrude Honed intake
and plenum alone.  Everyone else has said that the stock intake and
runners are good for maybe 20HP with professional porting.  60HP sounded
too much like a "wild claim" so I didn't want to trust them with the six
hundred amd fifty bucks that they want to do an entire TPI.

Tom:  Thats an interesting point you brought up about gasket matching
the intake.  I'm going to have to wonder about the port match-up now,
because it's already a done-deal.  Maybe I can use a probe of some sort
to examine the interface when it's all bolted up?  Anyone have an old
optoscope, or a mini-CCD camera that I could fish down the port?  Maybe
I can open up the cylinder heads to slightly larger than the gasket...
Ill figure out what to do when I get there.

---Cheers,

Dan

ws6transam at voyager.net