porting details for a stock TPI manifold

Wayne Cox wcox at erinet.com
Tue Jul 1 01:40:05 GMT 1997

>I have one small piece of advice, Gasket matching head is OK, but
>gasket matching the intake manifold is risky.  If you gasket match the
>head AND the intake manifold, there is no guarantee that they will
>match up perfectly when bolted together.  There

I couldn't find any consensus on this when I did the head-work on my '92
Nissan SE-R.  But the otherwise high-tolerance engine had smaller intake
manifold ports than head ports.  I had the intake ground out (a lot) to
match the head, and had to enlarge the gasket as well.  Also matched the
T.B. to manifold, and some other parts of the intake.

I test-fitted all the parts off the engine, and made some match marks on
the outside so I could align the ports properly.  Scribing some marks
tangent across the ports helped.    On assembly, I used spray on "high
tack" gasket sealer to stick the gaskets in place, and out of the flow.  It
feels stronger all around and runs 14.75 @ 92 ETs, at about 2660 lbs race
weight  (N.A . 2.0 liter)

Still, it's one of the things I have concerns about.  I'd like to dyno the
car with a stock intake, just to be sure.

  -Wayne