Natural Gas instead of petrol

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Thu Jul 3 15:34:35 GMT 1997

> Could a EFI system be converted easily to Natural Gas by connecting
> the fuel rail to a gas bottle with the appropriate pressure
> regulator?

Its of my opinion that a ::conversion:: would be more effort than its
worth, as LPG and Gasoline have different combustion temperatures,
different ability to do work, different oxygen requirements.  However, here
in NYC there are plenty of LPG city transit buses that utilize a fuel
injected LPG system.  So its not a pipe dream, its a reality.

But.  Do we as consumers have access to tanks of LPG?  Is it cost
effective?  What about performance?  These are very important trade-offs to
consider.  However it does burn cleaner :)

You'd need to research the combustability of LPG and its O2 requirements,
and from there, figure out the injectors to be used, the mappings of LPG to
O2 for different RPM/speeds, and go from there!

Frederic J. Breitwieser Jr.
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
Bridgeport, Connecticut USA